January 2, 2024
Dear JBES Parent or Guardian,
Each year the Tennessee Department of Education examines schools’ performance across several different indicators to provide an overall look at how schools are serving the needs of all students. The department of education included the following indicators in its analysis of school accountability:
• Student achievement
• English learner proficiency exam (ELPA)
• Student growth
• Chronic absenteeism
More information on each of these indicators and the data used to define them can be found in the 2022-2023 Accountability Protocol. Under the federal Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA), the department is required to use the school accountability results to identify those schools with the lowest performance across student groups (e.g., individual racial/ethnic student groups, students with disabilities, economically disadvantaged, and English learners). These schools will receive additional supports from the department.
We are writing to inform you that Jo Byrns Elementary School is identified for Targeted Support and Improvement as required by ESSA and the U.S. Department of Education during the 2023-24 school year.
Our school is working hard with the district and the Tennessee Department of Education to increase student performance by:
• delivering after-school remediation sessions with targeted standards-based instruction in reading and math.
• hosting a summer learning camp in June 2024 to address significant learning gaps for identified students.
• providing high-quality professional development to instructional staff in reading and math.
• participating in the AALN grant to provide more inclusive opportunities for students.
• implementing the Byrning Through Books program in all grades.
• aligning instructional strategies, activities, materials, and interventions across acontinuum of learning experiences.
We encourage you to help by participating in the development and implementation of our school improvement plan by:
• reviewing information and materials that address school procedures such as academics, grading, and attendance
through various family engagement events and communications.